Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tioman Island, Mar 2012

Tioman was such an amazing trip that I really got to sit down and write about it now before I get too lazy. I have such selective memory that I can completely mentally wipe out big chunks of experiences, and yet to say my memory is bad doesn't really do my brain justice - because I do remember weird things like the dress Ivy was wearing three years ago when we were in Jakarta!

Anyways! Tioman - was everything rolled into one - Sunny! Friendly, relaxing, beautiful, incredible. Simple. Memorable. We went with not much expectations, just that we wanted a quick getaway. 

Redang was closed for the monsoon still then (its open now!), so Tioman seemed like the second best option. The kick-ass chalet resort thing we wanted was fully booked, so we had to settle for a village house thing, which actually in pictures, seemed pretty cosy. But I was a teeny apprehensive when I read reviews ranging from being noisy, to run down, to infested with bed bugs! 

Still, we were adamant to make it work. 

And, guess what, it did!  We were given a sea-view chalet, right next to the sweetest most talkative Finish couple. Then, the Sun god blessed us with days and days of sun. And breeze to go with it. That, and Salang beach is such a cosy retreat - a quaint Malay fishing/ tourist village. The locals were so simple, and happy that it truly made our stay. We had the cutest cat at the doorstep which thinks it is a dog: it keeps going on walks with us. The sand was as fine as flour. By the end of the trip, I even had a favourite beach bar, which sat right at the beach front, near the pier - the perfect reading spot during late afternoons.







We were in high spirits - probably from the overdose on Sun and Vitamin Ds, or from the snorkeling, or sea water - we came back burnt right to the butt, but it was oh-so worth it!

No comments: