Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happy One Year Anniversary!

Back in high school, we all had to do a subject on English Literature. Oh , I remember how most of us moaned and groaned then (and complained and tsk-tsk) whenever it came to English Lit.

I have a confession though- inside, I was really happy to Have to do a subject on English Literature.

For me, it was a teensy escape hatch from the crazy Additional Maths calculations, or experiments gone wrong in the Biology or Physics lab- into a world I could escape with just mere words and sentences. Ah, the joys of reading!


Anyways, We had to study many poems, and 8 years has past me by since my English Literature days, but this poem still is one of my favourite poems and , incidently also my mum's)


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost 1874-1963


8 years since I first read this poem- and 8 years since I took roads and roads less travelled by. I do not regret a single decision I have made.

I am glad I went on my year exchange programme when everyone else said it was a waste of time. Don't think I would have found myself had I not.

And now, I am thankful that I resigned as a management trainee from HSBC to see the world. To most , it may not have been the smartest or most logical thing to do-where am working now, it may not be the most gratifying job, or even a career - sometimes I even feel like like a slave running on an energizer battery, but most days I find myself thankful, simply to be where I am now. Thankful to meet the greatest people I have met, ever thankful for the best of friendships I have made over the year, thankful to see places all around the world, thankful for the experiences I shall never forget, thankful for the lessons learnt.

I am glad I did not stick to my banking job, simply just to conform to the conventional career path most parents would love their children to have, or what most finance graduates would aspire to be. Yes, I do ponder at times as to where I'd be now had I choose to stay back. I wonder how things would have worked out then, how my life would be like. Would I still be terrifed of my old boss, Julie? Would I still be planning company parties, or after hours drinking sessions? Would I be promoted by now?Would I be good at what I do, most importantly, WOULD I BE HAPPY?

But then, I shudder to even imagine being glued to a desk 9 to 5 (ermm.. most times 8 or 9 or 10!!! eeeeps!!!)

Thinking back now, I am glad I chose to follow my heart, and though my dad still does not have an inkling as to what I am up to in Singapore- I am thankful I have your back-up , Mom.

Today's the 6th of June 2009, exactly a year since Sam and I left KL for Singapore . I don't know what I'd be doing another 12 months down the road- 6th June 2010- but I know whereever I am , whatever I choose to do- it shall be something my heart has set out to do.

I am stronger today for the decisions I have made, for the lessons learnt, the experiences gained.


Once, back in 2002, during a hot summer day while we were sailing with the Aukeses, Marillia, my Brazillian best friend when I was In the Netherlands, taught me this quote too:

'Where shall I go, When I go, Where I go?'.

Ah. I forgot if it was a popular Brazillian saying, or if it came from a song of her native language- but yes, I do wonder, a year from now,

'where shall I go, when I go, where I go?'

:D


Have a FABULOUS saturday ya'll- I have got a nice kick ass busy one planned out for the entire day! woo hoo!


xx



No comments: